While expanding your campaign fundraising in the last few months of the cycle may seem daunting, it is one of the most effective ways to bring your campaign to victory in November. During AAPC’s August 28th webinar, fundraising experts Domonique James with Politics with Purpose and Carter Kidd with Campaign Solutions shared simple, actionable tactics that will earn your campaign more money in record time.
Carter Kidd’s Lessons:
- Fundamentally, the more you ask, the more you will receive money. It needs to be very easy for folks to donate.
- Manage your email list and think of ways to grow your contacts. Keep it fresh and clean. Email is still the most effective way to raise money online.
- Integration is CRITICAL and the best way to succeed in fundraising.
- Subject lines really do matter. Try out different wording and do not be afraid to get creative. The use of emojis is a fun way to mix things up and have your message stand out.
- You want to have a consistent brand integrated with every aspect of your campaign, but you don’t want to get stale. Take a chance and change up your email templates sometimes.
- The donation page is critical. You need to make sure it works, that it looks clean and is easy to use. Make sure it collects all info that is legally required.
- Going into September, it is time to ramp up and push the envelope. Digitally, make sure you’re still sending emails and communicating with your voters.
About Carter: For over a decade, Carter has been managing major online campaigns for Republican candidates, parties, and public affairs initiatives. She specializes in online communication strategies, web development and online fundraising. Carter manages day-to-day operations for Campaign Solutions and oversees the firm’s numerous business channels.
Domonique James’ Lessons:
- Campaigns go wrong when they don’t take the time to map their networks and look into the pockets of money in their areas.
- Make sure you are saying the right things to the right people. Your team needs to be trained on how to speak to people about money.
- Fundraising is all about having a system. Don’t throw money down the drain experimenting with tactics that produce low returns.
- You need a multi-pronged fundraising program including call time.
- Use this time (September) to get your fundraising organized, so that you can have the GOTV plans of your dreams in October.
- Look at historical races and data to figure out how much money you should be able to raise for a campaign.
- Look to selling techniques in the commercial industry and then apply those to your political campaigns.
About Domonique: Domonique James is the Founder and CEO of Politics with Purpose, a digital media, training, and consulting firm. She is a political professional with over ten years of experience in strategic communications, grassroots advocacy, and political and public affairs advertising.
A huge thank you to our speakers for sharing their expertise with the AAPC membership!